Tuesday, April 24, 2012

DIY Fabric Shelf Storage

I'm almost done with my craft room.  I don't want to show the whole reveal because I'm still thinking of ways to decorate it.  However, it's almost completely functional.  One of the things that really shocked me was just how much fabric I have!


Yikes!  What a mess!  I don't buy too much of any fabric (usually not enough by the time I get to a project), but I am a sucker for the remnant bin at JoAnns.  It's a great place for fleece and flannel.  Anyway, I digress.  I am lucky to have these wonderful built-in shelves in the closet:


No problem, I thought.  I'll just neatly fold and organize the fabric on the shelves.



I was able to organize the fabric by type and fold the smaller fabrics into fat quarters and arrange them by color.  But there was still too much fabric!   The flannel I have was especially difficult.  I don't have a lot of any particular pattern, but I do have lots of different patterns.  Flannel takes up a great deal of space when you fold it.

I love reusing stuff and I came up with this great idea to use old DVD cases to wind flannel for storage.  Your know, like this:


By creating little "books" of flannel, I was able to use this discarded bookshelf.


Hey, I can see the floor!  I also love looking at my fabric stash.  I just wish I could make all the things I am imagining.

cindy

2 comments:

  1. Such a great idea! I love the DVD cases.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So you're an organizerecycler... err recyclorganizer... hmmmm, either way Good Job! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and read every one, so please let me know what you're thinking.