Monday, April 16, 2012

My First Quilt

I'm a wimp about quilting.  It's very intimidating to me.  I love rag quilts, probably because no one in my family made them, so I couldn't be too intimidated.  My grandmother made many quilts, even years after a major stroke, and all by hand.  My sister made her first quilt less than 7 years ago, but as usual she started big - I mean really big.  She made these huge colorful banners for her church.  Yeah, that big thing with the ribbons.


This one too:


So you can see why I might be a bit intimidated.  I finally overcame my fear, bought a pattern and some bundled fat quarters and made my first quilt:


I love the colors.  The blocks are multiple sizes and didn't line up perfectly, but you have to look close to see it.


I can't remember the pattern, but I do remember I purchased it at JoAnns.  I followed the directions for the binding and I'm pretty proud of it.


I was a weenie with the actual quilting.  I "stitched in the ditch".  That means I followed the seams of the blocks on the quilt top to sew through the quilt sandwich (quilt top, batting and quilt back).


I must say I'm pretty proud of it.  I made it a while back and today when I look at it I'm surprised I made it all by myself.  I pretended to be my sister and jumped in boldly - go big or go home.  (O.K., my quilt isn't big, but it's a metaphor for doing something you've never done before.)  Next time I'm going to try "real" quilting and stay out of the ditch.

cindy

5 comments:

  1. Cindy, it looks great! I, like you, get intimidated when trying something new. I'll go so far as to purchase supplies and then they sit, because I am too scared to start. :\ Once I get going, it's hard to stop me, but starting? It's hard. Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy - you make awesome purses and I know it had to be new at some point. No fear (maybe occasional "craft fail") but NO FEAR! My bigger problem is sticking to one thing - I want to try everything!

      Delete
  2. You should be very proud, and there's nothing weanyish about stitching in the ditch! You did great!

    Shannon@SewSweetCottage

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and read every one, so please let me know what you're thinking.