Monday, September 5, 2011

DIY - Yarn Mache


I've seen several blogs with demonstrations of yarn bowls.  I call it yarn mache because it is the same technique and same paste you use with paper mache.  My craft diva is in full swing this holiday weekend and has been wanting to make paper mache.  We don't have any newspaper, so I thought it would be easy to try this.

First, you need the paste.  I've always used glue watered down, but after trying this recipe for paste, I like it much better.  I must give credit to carolynshomework for this recipe:

Combine 1/2 c. flour with 2 cups water
Boil 2 c. of water and add flour/water mixture to pan
Bring total mixture to boil (watch so it doesn't boil over)
Let mixture cool and then add 3 tablespoons sugar
Paste will thicken as it cools completely


You can use balloons to make paper mache or yarn mache, but I like to use a bowl to make a bowl.  Cover the bottom of the bowl in clear plastic wrap, so you protect your bowl.
 Pick your yarn.  I like a regular worsted weight, although a cotton would probably work very well.  I used a "homestyle" yarn, which wasn't the best choice because it started to unravel.



Cut the yarn in the lengths you want and dip each piece in to coat completely.  I wouldn't recommend immersing the yarn in the paste too much as it makes it harder to remove the paste.  As you take out each piece, strip the wet paste off and wrap the yarn around the bowl in any pattern you choose.



Use as much (or as little) yarn as you would like.  We tended to use a little more to make the bowl more substantial.


Once you have finished, allow the bowl to dry COMPLETELY, at least overnight.  If you live in a high humidity area, it may take longer.  Slowly remove the plastic wrap from the bowl and then carefully peel the plastic wrap off the yarn bowl.



We also tried a slightly bigger one in multiple colors:



This is a great activity for kids.  It's so easy and I think it's cleaner than paper mache.



cindy

3 comments:

  1. Did the shape slide off your bowl easily once it was done? I've been toying around with a similar idea, but didn't know if I'd need a release agent....

    ReplyDelete
  2. We didn't use a release agent. Actually, my husband did it while I was gone. He said it was a little hard to get the cling wrap off the bowl and then off the yarn mache. He said you had to slowly peel it off the bowl, then off the mache. If my husband can do it, anybody can do it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously! So cute. Let's do one together!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and read every one, so please let me know what you're thinking.