Monday, March 12, 2012

Salt Dough Easter Decorations




I love making Easter crafts.  It's a great sign of spring and you can show them off at Easter dinner.  I have some cute Easter/spring cookie cutters, but didn't want to make cookies because they are a bit counterproductive to my weight loss ; )  I decided to try some salt dough - it rolls out and cuts well and makes a semi-permanent decoration you can use for years to come.  The Craft Diva helped and offered to model the process.

Salt dough = 1 cup flour, 1 cup salt & 1/2 cup warm water (a little more if you need it).  I doubled the recipe for this project.


Mix and knead your dough.


Take a short break to be silly.


Cut the dough with cookie cutters.



Bake at 200 degrees for 1-2 hours or until hard.  If you live in a dry climate, you can put them in the sun.



Finished baking.  Time to paint with acrylic paints.  I used a white glitter/shimmer paint on top of the acrylic, although this is optional.  Varnish or use sealant to preserve and shine.


A prettier (and healthier) alternative to chocolate bunnies and Peeps!



Happy Easter!

cindy




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and read every one, so please let me know what you're thinking.