Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Spring Break in Kauai

I love my husband.  Really.  He is one of the few persons who enjoys vacations more than I do.  On our honeymoon we came to Hawaii for the first time and visited 3 islands.  We also made a promise to each other that we would continue to come to Hawaii at least every five years during our marriage.  We will be married 21 years in August and this is our 6th trip.  We are indeed blest.

This time we are in Kauai, the Garden Island.  While it probably hasn't made much news in the mainland, Kauai has been hammered for the last week with rain.  Lots and lots of rain.  In fact, in the last four days this side of the island (in the Poipu area) has had 14 inches of rain (more than twice the amount Phoenix gets in two good years).  The Princeville side of the island has had about 36 inches of rain - in FOUR DAYS.  That's some serious rain, even for a tropical island - a small tropical island.  The bride to Hanalei is out, there have been some landslides and on Monday night when we arrived there was a fierce thunderstorm that bent palm trees and put us to bed abruptly at 9:00 p.m. when the electricity went out.

But this is Hawaii.  Even bad weather is exotic and "ain't no big thing brotha"  Here's the view this morning in paradise:



Kauai and I are reconciling.  The only other time we were here was 9 years ago.  This is the greenest place I have ever seen and very quiet compared to the other islands, but at that time I was 2 months pregnant with my daughter and SOO SICK.  Needless to say, my memories were lying on a couch in the condo and heaving over the side of the tour boat.

Somehow I think this time will be better.  We celebrate my daughter's 9th birthday tomorrow.

Aloha from Kauai.

cindy

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and read every one, so please let me know what you're thinking.