Tuesday, April 9, 2013

A Death in the Family

I hope I didn't scare anyone with the title, but this death sure hit close to home:


This giant saguaro was in our front yard when we bought our house 11 years ago and it was standing for well over 100 years in the same spot before the house was built.  It was about 35 feet tall and defined our front yard.


It was the background for Christmas cards and Easter egg hunts and the foreground for many, many pictures of rainbows and blue skies.


It is survived by its smaller twin, but it's just not the same.  It doesn't really matter what brought it down, but evidently it was an internal infection.  These giant saguaros live for hundreds of years, but when a cactus wren (think woodpecker) makes a hole in them for bird condos, it opens a wound that can never heal.  For our giant silhouette, it came down without anyone here noticing.  Kent just looked outside during the day and it was stretched out on the ground.

I know it was a plant, but it sure felt like part of our Arizona story.  RIP old friend.


cindy

2 comments:

  1. This is sad. I understand completely - it's like losing an old friend. Great photos to go with it.
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your anonymous comment-ers scare me a little :) And I will miss your cactus. I liked him very much.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and read every one, so please let me know what you're thinking.