Friday, September 28, 2012

Friday Coffee Date

If we were having coffee today, I would tell you . . .

Lately I've been writing Scripture verses on my Facebook page.  I originally started with the following verse as a commentary on the upcoming election:

If my people who bear my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my presence and turn from their wicked ways, then I will listen from heaven and forgive their sins and restore their country. 2 Chronicles 7:14


I had so many "likes," I decided to keep doing it.  Every time I do it, I get more likes and some comments.  I really think God's word resonates with people.  Even better, I'm enjoying how it makes me examine Scripture, one book at a time.

The way I've been doing it is fun too.  For ease in cutting and pasting, I use an online Bible.  I go to the page with the list of the books of the Bible, close my eyes and move the cursor and click.  Whatever book I find myself, I read and find a passage I like.  It's kind of like Bible surfing the electronic way!

There have been a few times that have been harder than others.  The other day I found myself in the Song of Songs.  I love that book, but sometimes the verses are so personal between a husband and wife that it's hard to find one that is more applicable for general viewing.  I ended up with probably the only familiar verse in the book.  Here's what I picked:

Set me like a seal on your heart, like a seal on your arm. For love is strong as Death, passion as relentless as Sheol. The flash of it is a flash of fire, a flame of Yahweh himself. Love no flood can quench, no torrents drown. Were a man to offer all his family wealth to buy love, contempt is all that he would gain." Song of Songs 8: 6-7

Today I picked the following verse.  I think it's a great verse to pray about in the morning, so here's my Friday gift to you, my coffee buddies:

"The Lord is not being slow in carrying out his promises, as some people think he is; rather is he being patient with you, wanting nobody to be lost and everybody to be brought to repentance." 2 Peter 3:9

Great take away - the Lord is patient in carrying out His promises because He wants everyone to experience them and turn to Him.  

Amen

cindy


"Friday Coffee Date" is a weekly feature from Rags to Stitches.  Join me there to read some great insights and have some coffee.

1 comment:

  1. We say 2 Chron 7:14 in Church every week before our closing song. We started it right after 9/11 and have been saying it ever since. Too many times people (me, too) don't want to changer their ways.

    What a great witness you are being by using your facebook as an outreach!

    Here's what is new with me:

    http://collettaskitchensink.blogspot.com/2012/09/whats-new-with-you-92812.html

    Colletta

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and read every one, so please let me know what you're thinking.