Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Constant Computer?

I have this little problem in my house.  It looks a little like this:


No, Brodie doesn't really use the computer, but everyone else in the house does.  There are two kids and two adults living here.  There are 3 laptops, 1 tablet, 1 I-Touch and 2 smart phones.  Yep, we're pretty wired.  While it's a great convenience, it's become a real problem.  The kids spend too much time on the computer and we parents aren't much better.  I do feel pretty comfortable about what we're *not* looking at - we have Covenant Eyes installed on our computers and it's a pretty good filter.  However, I'm still pretty concerned about things like YouTube, even with the filters.

About now you are thinking - just turn it off, and you're right.  However, computers are to my kids what TV was to me.  It's going to be a bit of a challenge now that school is out.  We're trying to keep them busy, but I definitely think we will have to set specific time limits on computer time.

If anyone has any similar experiences, suggestions or alternatives, I'd love to hear from you!

cindy

2 comments:

  1. We have one more week before school is out, so we are still tweaking. Our aim is balance, so we have some summer camps planned (4 days baseball, 4 days chess club, etc.) that encourage non-computer time, and we are going to set the number of hours per week with electronic stimulation (still to be determined) and no more than 2 consecutive hours at a time. We'll see how it works, the natives are protesting already! Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with that Ann! Kent is primarily doing the work right now, but the kids are discovering that they have other things in their room - such as toys unopened from Christmas.

      Delete

I love comments and read every one, so please let me know what you're thinking.