Monday, February 27, 2012

Pinkie Rag Quilt

It's been a while since I've been able to post about a project.  I have been working on several things, and may even have an exciting announcement coming - sometime.  In the meantime, I finished this hot little number for my daughter:


I love these rag quilts.  I used snuggle flannel and for the first time I worked with minky.  How luxurious!  I also tried using a decorative stitch to make the X over each block.  I laid out the blocks to get the pattern correct.


This time I tried sewing the blocks in groups of four and then putting the 4-blocks together.  I think overall it's a good method with one big exception:


I should probably do vertical couples instead of horizontal.  Also, you can tell when it's time to change your needle when your blocks starting looking "off" like this:


This actually isn't as bad as it can get.  Last night I was sewing two blocks that were exactly the same size, but because the needle was blunt, it sewed the blocks with one side an inch longer than the other.  A sharp, thick (heavy weight) needle is a must when you are sewing the multiple layers.


The best part is the ragging - cutting the little strips in the exposed seam allowances.  If you want to keep your hands from cramping, you need the sharp snippers


I've been asked how to handle the center point where the four blocks come together.  Just snip the seam allowances in a way so none of the seam allowances is sewn down.


I love child labor :)  I'm partying in the linky party with Everyday Beautiful


cindy

5 comments:

  1. Oh, beautiful! the colors are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! I love the colors too. Black & Pink just make me smile. I always have a problem sewing with the minky fabric. It pulls on me or moves whatever you want to call it then my squares don't match up. Do you have any suggestions on how to handle this? Someone told me to use a walking foot and I've ordered one but it hasn't arrived yet. Do you think that will fix my problems?

    www.luluandjoy.blogspot.com or www.whenlifegivesyoulemons2.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Krista - Thanks for the comment! I had the exact same problem with another quilt I just made (which I will post in the next few days). I found that if you use a zig-zag stitch and adjust the stitch width on your machine to the lowest setting, it solves the problem. I also think the walking foot might work - I was about to put mine on when my sister (the expert seamstress) suggested the zig-zag approach.

    Good luck!

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, one more thing - if you are using flannel, you need to periodically clean your machine of the lint. This is especially true when you are having problems with bobbin stitch formation. You may find that your bobbin isn't turning properly because there is lint under it or the case.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the color choice for your rag quilt - I recently tried the AccuQuilt rag die for flannel and it worked like a charm - arthritis makes it impossible for me to snip that much, but I can make them now!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and read every one, so please let me know what you're thinking.