Friday, February 24, 2012

Fit Friday - Why Am I Doing This Anyway?

Yesterday, I wore a suit I haven't worn in 9 years.  That's exciting and I'm pretty happy about it.  Thing is, no one else noticed.  I remember thinking someone would say something, but no one did.  Did that make it less than exciting for me?  Maybe.

One of the biggest problems of losing weight is the idea that it will make you a different person.  If I get to a certain size or wear different clothes, will people think more of me?  Will it change my personality?  Will my problems go away?  Will I stop battling with my weight?  Nope.

I'm at a place now where I have to keep my focus on why I'm doing this.  It's easy to say the only reason I'm doing this is for my health, but that wouldn't be true.  I'm doing it because I want to wear "normal" sizes and shop in any store for clothes.  I want people to see the real me without my weight getting in the way.

Right there - that's it.  I want people to see me differently because I don't like what they see now.

That thought process is a VERY dangerous path.  There's a great article from Sparkpeople about this issue, "The Secret to Loving Your Body Isn't Losing Weight"  In the article the author says the only way she became happy was by accepting herself, fat or thin.  Instead of weight loss being the point of pride, she takes more satisfaction in exercise.  Hmmm.  Maybe I should give that a try.

I hope you're exercising and I hope you're loving yourself wherever you are.

cindy

3 comments:

  1. Great thought and post. It is hard to determine that the reason that we are losing weight is for us and not for what other people think of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very true...and somehow I find myself not loving myself because I'm FAT!! Which shouldn't be how it is. Definitely something to work on. Good for you for fitting into an old suit though!! It always feels so good to fit in old clothes, such a sense of accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. True, true, oh, how true! I had the Upward Foundation coming to take clothes and misc stuff on Tuesday. Monday night I stood staring at all the clothes that don't quite fit anymore trying to decide, to donate or not donate... I am in the midst of a new exercise and health surge. I am trying to do at least 30 minutes of some kind of exercise a day. In the final analysis I gave away all the stuff that is loose on me and figured if things were sligtly tight, it would encourage me to do more. We shall see!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and read every one, so please let me know what you're thinking.