Thursday, October 13, 2011

DIY - Soft, Warm Nightgown

I love snuggle flannel.  It's great for making warm rag quilts but it's also nice for sleepwear.  Before I go any further, disclaimer - snuggle flannels are NOT approved for sleepwear.  That is, they are not flame retardant like the Consumer Product Safety Commission advocates for children.  Enough said.



I used Simplicity pattern 8480 for this nightgown and a really cute patterned snuggle flannel.  I like making nightgowns because if you make them big enough and long enough, your daughter can wear them for several years.  This is especially true if you use a pattern like this one that is not fitted and has just a yolk and no waist.  The sleeves and front are trimmed in a pink grosgrain ribbon (although it's not easy to see in the pictures).



 I really wanted my model to wear this for the pictures, but she wasn't feeling very cooperative at the time.  As you can see, I was left to photograph it on a hanger in the bathroom.  Anyway, it's been so long since I posted a craft or sewing project that I was anxious to get this one on the blog.

The best part about this particular pattern is that it also includes some unisex pajama pants (with a pajama top for girls) and a pretty robe.  I bought several different snuggle flannel patterns a week or so (to add to my huge fabric stash) so I can make more pajamas and nightgowns for my daughter and pajama pants for my son.  This is a great time of year to make these because they keep them warm through the winter. It's also not too early to start those Christmas presents.  Now I just need to find another 8 hours a day to do it all.

cindy

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and read every one, so please let me know what you're thinking.