Friday, June 24, 2011

Chats with God

Oh what peace we often forfeit, oh what needless pain we bear; all because we do not carry everything to God in prayer.

I can get really stressed out sometimes trying to find a "solution" to life's problems.  The "problems" I'm speaking about are just my own (being effective at work, getting the kids to eat right or brush their teeth, house repairs, etc).  I can't imagine what it would be like to worry about the bigger picture (world peace, climate change, terrorism, the economy).  As a lawyer, I tend to think that I can find solutions to life's problems if I try hard enough.  That, in turn, just makes me stress even more.

The other day I was listening to Selah on my IPod and heard "What a Friend We Have in Jesus," and the words quoted above.  It really struck a chord with me.  How much time do I spend laying my problems down and taking them to my friend Jesus?  Now He may not "solve" my problems the way I think He should - my kids won't suddenly start brushing their teeth - but I have found that just having the conversation and giving up my worries to Him has an immediate impact in reducing my stress.  It also reminds me that I am not (and don't have to be) in control of every aspect of my life.  I just wish I had the conversations with God more frequently. 

To quote an overused 70's phrase: "Let go and let God."



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and read every one, so please let me know what you're thinking.