Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Holiday Candles

I really like the look of candles while I'm decorating for Christmas.  I like how they look and how they smell.  I don't use candles to provide great scents for my home (see my next blog where I talk about Scentsy), but the soft light candles provide gets me in a Christmas mood.




But candles can be dangerous, especially when you have so many other items decorating your home.  Here are 5 tips to stay safe with candles:

1.  NEVER leave a candle unattended and don't use candles on or near a Christmas tree.
2.  Keep candles away from anything that could burn (decorations, pine needles or matches in the candle, loose clothing, furniture, etc) and keep candles out of the reach of children and pets.
3.  Trim wicks to 1/4" before using.  If a candle flickers, sparks or the flame gets too large, put the candle out.
5.  Use a candle holder designed for candles.  This is a serious concern for those of us who DIY.  Be careful wrapping anything flammable around a candle holder or putting candles directly on surfaces that could be flammable.

Source: houzz.com via Cindy on Pinterest

Speaking of DIY, I couldn't resist at least showing pictures of some great projects with candles.  I admit I haven't tried any of these myself, but if you click on the picture, it should take you to my Pinterest account and then the source of the photo, which is usually a description of the DIY.  I did have to selectively choose which projects I would show, because many were, in my opinion, a little too dangerous.  As an example, I saw several projects where a taper was placed in a candle holder wrapped in leaves or evergreen.  Here are some of the best, and I'll let you click through to see how to create the gorgeousness!

Source: bhg.com via Cindy on Pinterest


Source: bhg.com via Cindy on Pinterest

This has me itching to try some of these. They are so pretty, yet elegant. If I get started now, I just might have something for my Christmas dinner table.

cindy

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and read every one, so please let me know what you're thinking.