Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Merry Christmas Traditions



It's 20 minutes until Christmas and I'm catching my breath.  I have been at church since 3:30 p.m. watching my daughter sing, singing myself and directing my husband's choir.  Christmas Eve is always a long day, but we are just getting started.

My husband will be home about 12:30 a.m. from his last Christmas Eve mass.  (If you haven't figured it out yet, he's a music director at a Catholic church.)  By that time we are both tired.  It's been a long day.

Now is the time for our private Christmas traditions.  When he comes home and kicks off his shoes, we'll watch the Pope at mass at the Vatican.  We'll also watch some of the local midnight mass with our bishop here in Phoenix.  We just can't seem to get enough liturgy, but it's nice just to watch and pray instead of serving as a liturgical minister.

Now is the time for the egg nog, maybe with a little bourbon whiskey :)  We will talk over how the night went, whether the children sang the Polish Christmas carol well, whether the contemporary band sounded OK on O Holy Night and how the adult choir fared on the Hallelujah Chorus at the end of midnight mass without a director (I needed to come home with the kids!).

Then it's time to get to work - Santa time.  There are gifts to be wrapped and others to be "placed".  Thank goodness our kids are tweens so we are out of the phase of assembling toys!  We're mostly removed from the 15 minute battle to wrestle toys out of boxes and packaging.  Usually we grab a bite of Santa's cookies, but this year we'll have to eat See's candy because the kids didn't have any cookies.  Works for me.  We're happy to help Santa however we can.



Finally, about 2:00 a.m. we will roll into bed.  Hopefully the house isn't too messy and the gifts are all there.  Hopefully I will be able to get dinner on the table on time and find something to wear for my Christmas dinner guests.  Hopefully everyone will be happy with their gifts.

Ready or not, Christmas is here.  Ready or not, the Christ-child is here.  Babies are like that.  You can clean, prepare, decorate, buy gifts and even celebrate, but in the end they will come in their time.  Christ came in His time.  Christ will come again in His time.


I pray I'm ready for that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and read every one, so please let me know what you're thinking.