Sunday, June 11, 2017

Sew Practical - (Very) Simple Dishcloths



One of my favorite fabric places is SAS Fabrics in Phoenix.  I call it the "warehouse o'fabric." It is not much to look at as a store, but the fabrics (and every notion you can imagine) is there.  Recently, I dropped by hoping to find some white terrycloth for the baby burp cloths and wash cloths I make and sell in my Etsy store, Pretty Pretty Cindy.  I did find some terrycloth, but when I brought it home, it just wasn't a high enough quality for my burp cloths.  With several yards of this terrycloth, I decided to make some dish cloths and dish towels.  These aren't fancy, but certainly prettier than rags, right?

I started by cutting the terrycloth in 9" squares.  Because of the quality of the terrycloth, any finished item will require some type of binding along the edges.  I picked a blanket stitch and lengthened and widened the stitch.  If this sounds unfamiliar, this is typically an adjustment you make on your sewing machine.  Play around with the stitch size on scrap fabric until you get what you want.  Using the blanket stitch and some colorful thread, I stitched around the perimeter of the square 5/8" from the edge.


Once you have stitched all the way around, trim the excess right up to the stitch.


And that's it!  If you want more color on each cloth, you can use a different color in the bobbin.  I used this opportunity to finish some thread I had leftover on bobbins from different projects.

They aren't fancy, but I really like the cute pop of color on these little dish cloths.  I still have more terrycloth, so next I'm turning my attention to some dish towels.

cindy


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and read every one, so please let me know what you're thinking.