Saturday, July 16, 2011

Adventures in Sewing

I come from a family of seamstresses.  My great-grandmother and grandmother (on different sides of the family) were quilters and both my mom and older sister sewed.  As a kid I don't remember shopping for clothes much because Mom made so many of them.  In fact, my sister and I had so many matching outfits when we were little people thought we were twins.  My big sister is a fabulous seamstress, having made my and my younger sister's wedding dresses (and they were not simple designs).  However, despite my mother's repeated offers requests pleading when I was young, I never learned to sew.

Now that I have my own daughter, I decided it was time to grab hold of the family talent.  Last year my sister came to Arizona and we sat down and sewed.  After waiting so long to learn, I couldn't believe it was so easy - follow the directions and learn a few tricks of the trade.  I embraced the gift and started cranking out clothes for Kenzie.  This was the second dress I made:


I love this one because I thought of the idea of combining a store-bought tank top and a homemade skirt that I made without a specific pattern.  Most of the time I think I was lucky that I had good patterns and managed to read them correctly:




The cheerleading costume was VERY popular and the dress for the wedding turned out just how I wanted.  This is my most recent creation and I am very proud of it:


The skirt is a patchwork design made of 2"x4" rectangles pieced with a serger (that took a while :).  After I made the patchwork "fabric" I cut the skirt from a pattern.  Then, to complicate matters I used a different pattern for the bodice.  It was a bit of a risk considering I could have ruined the patchwork.  

Now I have a hobby I love.  It's not always successful, (did I mention I stayed up all night last night trying to figure out how to make shorts from a pattern?), but so far so good.  I guess it's never too late to learn a new crafting skill.  I'd love to try knitting next . . .

cindy